Monday, November 22, 2010

AGGA-do

I'll explain the AGGA-do bit in a minute.

Background:
In the olden days, when I still lived in Tassie, and was growing up, finding my feet and finding my friends, I lucked upon 2 of the best friends a girl could ever ask for. Angela Brereton and Sarah Bain. Since then, our last names have changed (3 lucky men), our lifestyles have changed (lucky for us and our livers) and bodies have changed (not so lucky but beautiful kids as a result), but one thing has not changed and that is how much we love being friends. And even though we've thrown challenges out there like geography, and the hectic run of family life, we still maintain regular contact and haven't gone longer that 18months without seeing each other since I left Tassie at the start of 2000.

So this year, Bainy and Ange threw the idea out about coming over to our home town, to see our new house and new Lucy, and to see James, Matt and I on our home turf.

It happened! And November 19th was the date!!!!

We packed so much into a long weekend. Rutherglen Wineries, Milawa Wineries and Cheese Factory, The Spa at Beechworth for a Girls Get Together Day spa treatment, and a tourist drive of the surrounds...

I've stolen these photos from Bainy and Ange's blogs and they are in no particular order. Actually, they'll confuse the life out of you but I can't be bothered fixing them up and putting them in order. I was true to form and didn't pull my camera out all weekend - only took a couple of snaps on my phone and you can barely see them!


An artistic shot from Bainy at Brown Brothers winery...




My boys and I after we got back from the Day Spa (note the greasy hair and relaxed Jane!)

My girls... Ange on the left and Bainy in the middle... Bainy is known to most as Sarah but I'm so used to her being Bainy that I struggle to remember to use Sarah. James also calls her Bainy but got a bit confused as we waited out the front of our place for them to arrive on Friday afternoon and said "Mum, where's Boony?" Good to see he has an appreciation for Australian Cricketers though I guess.































And that's it... Brilliant photos (thanks girls) and a brilliant weekend.
So AGGA-do is what I've decided the weekend should be called. It was our inaugural Annual Girls Get Away-Do. So next year is my turn to go solo to Tassie for sometime with the Carmichael and Pidgeon kids without wrangling my own and to indulge in some time with my girls again.
Thanks so much Ange and Bainy for making a huge effort (both physically and financially) and to your lovely husbands and children for donating you to the cause for the weekend. I'm still on a high...

4 comments:

Fiona said...

Some fantastic shots in there! Awesome

katherine hannon said...

those photos are amazing, you all are so photogenic!! absolutely love the pic of lucy giving the camera a wave that is awesome, she sure has grown up since the last time i saw her.

Ange Carmichael said...

Loved your story and take on it - pretty special our friendships are...
I am already starting to think of next year and what we can scheme up hehe - fun fun!!

Sarah said...

Best weekend eva!!!
I'm definately going to remember that one for a while to come! You left out the part about us all celebrating our 30th birthdays together, although we didn't actually get around to doing the whole cake thing etc.
Plans for next year are coming along. I think it's going to be an annual rather than bi-annual event too. I can't wait that long to see you again :)
Thanks again so much for having us, and to Matt for having the kids so we could have you!