Friday, June 24, 2011

Kate

We've just been lucky enough to have Kate stay with us for 10 days of her 5 weeks home from London while she's been waiting for Queen Lizzy to give her the nod to continue her work for another 3 years (she's already been there for 2). Well she got the nod, so is back to London on Tuesday to continue to play, travel and explore, and work to fund it!

In typical style (which I'm intent on changing!) I hadn't brought the camera out so took it to the airport to snap a few shots in James' most loved precinct before she jetted off.

This was as close as we could get to a photo of the 3 of them outside!

A little closer...

Kate brought James back from the vending machine feeling apologetic about the fact that he'd selected a mountain dew can. James saw it differently though and loudly and proudly declared, "Mum, Kate bought me a beer!" Upon telling Matt last night about the beer incident, he tells me that James has been making a few references to drinking beer over the last couple of nights. Time to put drinking back into the closet I think!!!! And what oh what is he telling childcare!!!!!!!

At last, a photo of the 3, but Lucy looking away...

If they all look away does it look artistic or desperate...

Then, just as the plane was boarding, I set up a self-timer... not very well!!!!

A little better!

And then it was time for Katie to be gone

:(

After a good waving session, we set off for the car. And then, for the first time in his 38 months of life, James laid on a full-on, lay down on the ground, kick and scream, tantrum.

I let the moment pass (so I thought) and gently asked him to stand and walk with me.

He wanted to be carried. I couldn't fit him in my arms. He kicked and screamed some more.

Some well meaning older ladies offered some assistance to me by trying to give James a hurry along.

He was unfazed.

After what felt like 10 minutes (but I'm sure it was only 2 or 3) I gave the 'last warning' and then stood and marched off towards the car with undeniable intent! 20metres along I hear the thud thud of some footsteps and a little boy falls into stride beside me.

Back at the car I asked him what it was about (after the clear message of 'don't you ever do that again' had been imparted!). His response was heart breaking...

"I sad Mum. I wanna go and say bye to Katie again... I wanna see Katie..."

Thanks so much for spending a huge chunk of your time with us Kate. We love you lots and we miss you lots but, as James says... Katie's gone back to her house on the (com)puter...

xoxo

3 comments:

Jacqui Walsh said...

Oh, I've got tears in my eyes reading that last part... James and Lucy sure do love their Katie! Sounds like you all had a wonderful time though. Great photos. xoxo

Ange Carmichael said...

Oh man gotta laugh at the tanty!! I usually see Mums like that and think, boy I'm glad that 'aint me...even though we have had a few similar episodes!! Sounds like you handled it perfectly and there was a reason behind his frustration..sweet! Aunty Kate sure is one cool chicky babe heading back to London (Locke sure did think so), was so fun to catch up with the fam in Coffs.

Sarah said...

Awww! That makes me cry (and I'm at work!!)
Tanties are hard, sounds like you did great Jane! Especially as you were probably a little emotional also :*
I so thought that was you in the first few photos, Kate sure has grown up!
I like the look away photos - take what you can get I say!